Shell Singapore: #SGUnited during COVID-19
Our priority is to support our colleagues, customers and the community through these unprecedented times.
Shell’s priority is the safety and health of our people and our environment, as well as the continued safe operations of all our businesses. During the circuit breaker period, we continue to operate as an essential service to keep Singapore running.
From the bottom of our hearts, we thank the people who continue to work tirelessly on the frontline. For us, this also includes our colleagues at the sites and service stations and our partners. To ensure their well-being, we monitor the situation closely and adhere to the guidance from the authorities.
During this time, we are also not forgetting the local community. We strive to be one with the nation and do our part to be #SGUnited.
Our colleagues, our people
The health and safety of our colleagues is our priority. We safeguard their well-being by:
- Putting in place safe distancing measures and regular cleaning and disinfection at our sites and service stations
- Personal thermometers for staff to monitor their temperature and face masks to help staff stay safe when they need to go out
- Ensuring home-based colleagues receive the necessary support
- Revised HR policies to extend employee benefits
- Online resources to enhance well-being and resilience
- Confidential counselling service for stress or anxiety issues
Meeting the needs of our customers
We have business continuity plans in place to ensure the safety and sustainability of our business operations and our ability to meet the needs of our customers and partners.
As a provider of essential services, we continue to operate with the government’s guidance on keeping workplaces safe. This includes working from home where possible, maintaining safe distancing and minimising social contact.
Our service stations remain open across the island. We are taking many steps to keep our service stations clean and safe for customers. This includes:
- Measures for safe distancing,
- Stepping up disinfecting and cleaning, and
- Putting in place other protection such as coating frequently touched surfaces with a layer of antimicrobial protection.
COVID-19 affects us in more ways than one. We offer a helping hand to address our customers’ needs with what we can readily provide. At the start of COVID-19, we distributed vehicle wipes and water bottles to our fleet customers who have staff working at the frontline, driving ambulances and buses.
Seeing the need in these times, we diverted resources to produce Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) at our manufacturing site on Pulau Bukom. IPA is a key ingredient for sanitisers and disinfecting products. Our Pulau Bukom Manufacturing plant is the only producer of IPA in Singapore and South East Asia, supplying to customers in Asia. Read how IPA can help halt COVID-19 here.
Through these, we hope to do our part for our customers and help them meet their needs during this period.
Caring for our communities
Globally, Shell is working hard to assist in the global fight against COVID-19, and to support recovery efforts. One of Shell’s most significant roles continues to be keeping energy supplies flowing, both during lockdowns and as countries start to open businesses and schools. Find out more about our global response to COVID-19 here.
In Singapore, we have a long tradition of giving back to the community. We work through our community partners to assess where the needs are to leverage on our strengths and capabilities.
- Earlier in March, we gave out about 20,000 care packs containing surface disinfectants, vitamin C drinks, and supplements to Singapore’s taxi and private-hire drivers in a week-long giveaway. We also encouraged customers at Shell service stations to pen their appreciation to the impacted driver community on boards.
- From June through August, we partnered The Food Bank SG to raise over 10,000 breakfast bundles and 2,600kg of essential food items (equivalent to 7,400 meals) through the “bank boxes” placed at our network of service stations. You can continue to donate non-perishable food items to those in need. Continue to support The Food Bank SG here
- While food donations are important, ensuring delivery of food to those who need it completes the loop of giving. We connected The Food Bank SG with our Fleet partner and also provided them with around 400 deliveries.
- Working with our community partner, Lakeside Family Services, our volunteers befriended elderly who have minimal or no family support using calls, and carried out virtual tuition clinics for students in need.
- Recognising that technology can help empower communities, we support organisations like Engineering Good in their mission to improve the quality of life for their beneficiaries We started this partnership with a donation of 150 laptops to their #ComputersAgainstCovid cause, supporting students with such needs. Learn more about this cause.
- Various upcoming community initiatives are in the pipeline as we actively look at ways to provide support and relief for those in need.
More on Shell’s response to COVID-19:
Your safety and health is our priority. Our service stations are in the Essential Services category and remain open during the “circuit breaker” period.