The ethylene cracker opened in March 2010 and is a major component of the Shell Eastern Petrochemicals Complex (SEPC) project, Shell’s largest-ever petrochemicals investment. It is integrated with Shell’s largest refinery, on Pulau Bukom, and with its world-scale mono-ethylene glycol plant on nearby Jurong Island.
“Our Singapore ethylene cracker was designed with potential capacity expansion in mind and I am delighted to confirm this debottlenecking,” said Ben van Beurden, Executive Vice President for Shell Chemicals.
“The investment will generate additional volumes to help us meet growing demand from our customers in the region. It will also further unlock value from integration with our refinery and our derivatives activities on Jurong Island. This integration is key to our strategy.”
Dr Huck Poh, Manufacturing Director for Shell Singapore, underlined the significance of this investment, “This project reinforces Shell’s commitment to Singapore, which is already our largest petrochemicals production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region.”
High Resolution Images:
Notes to editors
About the SEPC project
- The SEPC project included a new ethylene cracker complex, a world-scale mono-ethylene glycol plant, and modifications to the existing Pulau Bukom refinery.
- The project was strategically located to take advantage of existing infrastructure and to ensure that maximum benefits are achieved by integrating the petrochemical site with Shell’s Bukom oil refinery.
- Bukom refinery was modified to enable it to produce feedstock for the ethylene cracker.
- This integration delivers operating efficiencies and valuable by-products, as well as the ability to use feedstock from the adjacent refinery rather than importing from elsewhere.
- The production capacity of the SEPC project includes:
- 800,000 tonnes per annum of ethylene
- 750,000 tonnes per annum of mono-ethylene glycol
- 155,000 tonnes per annum of butadiene
- 450,000 tonnes per annum of propylene
- 230,000 tonnes per annum of benzene
About Shell Chemicals
Shell Chemicals has been a leading player in the manufacture and sale of bulk petrochemicals to large industrial customers for more than 80 years. We have been ranked the world’s sixth largest petrochemical company based on turnover. In 2011, we sold more than 18 million tonnes of product and achieved record earnings of over $2 billion. Our world-class manufacturing plants in major markets around the world and strong product portfolio are underpinned by strong technical heritage and market-leading proprietary technologies, innovation and excellent customer relationships. We draw particular strength from being part of an integrated energy company, through which we leverage infrastructure efficiencies, upstream feedstock flexibility, and manufacturing and processing expertise.
For further information, please contact:
Serene Loo, Shell Spokesperson, Asia Pacific
Tel: +65 6384 8943 / +65 9729 7294
Yam-Chew Oh, Global External Communications Adviser – Chemicals
Tel: +44 20 7934 2253 / +44 7837 955 995